Code of Conduct
LTMS has been designed as a school for those students desiring a definitive learning environment characterized by orderliness, structure, and discipline. Discipline guidelines exist so students may achieve self-discipline.
In general, all LTMS students are expected to adhere to the following basic rules of personal conduct.
- All LTMS students are assigned to a specific location throughout the day and are expected to adhere to their schedules.
- Students are expected to report to class punctually. If a teacher has detained a student, the student should obtain a written excuse from that teacher. Unexcused/habitual tardiness to class will not be tolerated.
- Students are to move through the hallways in an orderly fashion. Running, pushing, and other forms of horseplay, or loitering are not permitted. Students are expected to move through the halls and talk quietly, so as to maintain reasonable/minimal noise.
- Every student is expected to remain in the hallway near his/her own classroom or locker. Students should not wander into areas unless they have classes in that area.
- During class time, students must receive permission from the teacher before leaving the classroom. Hall passes must be carried in the hallways during class time.
- Students are expected to converse respectfully with individuals at all times. Name-calling or any derogatory references towards others is considered inappropriate behavior. Bullying will not be tolerated.
- Students are to report to each class with all academic materials needed for that class.
- Students are not allowed to bring nuisance items to school. Any object or material that would be disruptive to the learning process is considered a nuisance item. Cell phones and pagers should be turned off and kept in lockers during school hours. School personnel have the authority to confiscate such items and will notify parents of such action.
- Gum and candy are not permitted in the building. Snacks are to be eaten only in the cafeteria during lunchtime and as permitted by staff members.
- Students are expected to do their part in keeping the building clean.
- Students must have a hall pass to come to the office for any reason.
The general procedure for handling discipline of minor misbehaviors, such as outlined in the FCPS Code of Conduct or behaviors deemed inappropriate by LTMS staff shall be:
- Conference with student with optional phone call to parent
- Phone call to parent and infraction and/or detention
- Saturday detention or SAFE (in-school suspension)
- Out-of-school suspension
- Discipline Committee hearing for removal from LTMS
The following misbehaviors are considered intolerable for LTMS and will constitute reasonable grounds for assignment to SAFE, suspension, and/or withdrawal from LTMS:
- Continual disruptive classroom behavior
- Profanity or vulgarity
- Defiance of authority of any staff member
- Persistent disorderly conduct
- Intimidation or bullying